Vehicle data sheet




Manufacturer: Omsk Works No. 174, Soviet Union

Soviet Union
Type: Tracked Weight: 28.1 t
Produced: 1957 Size: Length 6.22 m, Height 2.71 m
Number built: 2023 Engine: Diesel, 520 HP
Crew: 6 Speed: 50 km/h


ZSU: Zenitnaya Samokhodnaya Ustanovka (Anti-aircraft self-propelled mount) The „57” stands for the bore of the armament in millimetris and „2” stands for the number of gun barrels.

The ZSU-57-2 a Soviet made and used by Warsaw Pact countries, North Korea, Finland and third counties.

Soviet engineers designed a vehicle that used a modified T54 chassis, with four twin road wheels per side instead of five, and much thinner armour. The vehicle was armed with twin 57 mm S-68 autocannon in a new, large rotating, open- topped turret. This tank has a very thin steel armor (max: 15 mm). Lack of the roof makes it defenseless  against attacks from above.The second weakness of the ZSU-57_2 was the lack of a search or fire –control radar. Night firing was also impractical.

The ZSU-57-2 used a lightened version of the T-54 tank chassis. The hull armour was reduced to a level sufficient to protect against heavy machine guns, and because of the weight reduction, the suspension was modified by deleting a single road wheel on either side. The S-68 gun system was mounted in a large, boxy turret. The two guns have a combined maximum rate of fire of 240 rounds per, minute (and a practical rate of 140 rpm), and the vehicle stows 316 rounds (with 264 rounds in ready clips.) The rate of fire was reduced by the fact that the weapon had to be manually loaded. The original version of the ZSU-57-2 used optical sights without a range finder, while the later model was fitted with a more sophisticated sight. This model is identifiable by the two small ports in the forward upper portion of the turret front (as in the Jadar kit.) The ZSU-57-2 could also be used in a secondary role against ground targets.

The first prototype was built in June. These machines are officially entered service in the Soviet Army on 14 February 1955. It was first shown publicly during the military parade in Moscow on 7 November 1958.